Friday, June 12, 2009

HOW TOS, WHEN TOS, WHO TOS AND WHERE TOS.

Im not a solution provider, as a matter of fact im completely oblivious to a lot going on around. For instance, im bad at Maths, have been so since I skipped out on Primary 3 and into 4. I’m horrible with electronics and electrical and I’ve been so since I received the shock of my life while trying to change a light bulb. I’m terrible at relationships and have been since the love of my life left me for a ‘skinny’ Puerto Rican. This is me. But I discovered something, BOOKS! and with this discovery came the discovery of Self Help, How To And Guide Books.

For those of you who are familiar with the dummy series, you will understand this title, ‘Life For Dummies’. You can imagine my excitement when I saw this book, I thought, my solution to all my life’s shortcomings. Yippee. But my solution book turned out to be anything but. The book was more like a suggestion book, suggestions suggestion suggestions, mostly contradicting itself in each chapter. But then again, who would buy a book like that? Well as the title implies, a dummy.

Im no dummy (if I do say so myself) and I’m sure we have all come across one how to book at some point in our life. The average bookstore has a self help shelf with titles like ‘how to win him over’ to ‘how to be a Nigerian’to ‘how to worship God’ etc. But all this DIY (do it yourself) books each contradict themselves. Let’s take diet for instance, one minute the fad is eat only protein and the next its eat only green fruit. One book says, be nice and he will love you and another one says to play a 10 day mean game and you are sure to have him hooked. But despite the contradictions, the ‘whatever works for you rule applies’. But I find that rules don’t work for me, who makes this rules really, think about it.

But I must add that self help and how to books are crammed with useful titbits and many are very helpful. My book shelf isn’t of much help, being a magazine, newspaper and Tom Peters fanatic, so I guess my rules of living come from living. Waking up in the morning, trying new stuff, reading peoples stories and experiences, my own experiences etc any point of view is welcome and if it works for me then so be it.

P.S t think this blog should have been titled ‘whatever works for you’

No comments:

Post a Comment