Monday, May 25, 2009

kpako vs butty

Yesterday, I watched a 3 ½ years old girl play solitaire on my laptop and then shut it down properly when it indicated that the battery was low and all I could say was ‘na wah oh’. When I was three I was completely clueless, my favourite pastime was playing pranks on my siblings and putting the helps and batman in trouble. Fast forward to 20+ years later and 3 year olds are shutting down machines and 8 year olds are experts on fashion do’s and don’ts. The verdict is in, Kids are losing or have lost their innocence, but it’s hard to decide whether it’s a good thing or a bad thing.
I mean its good when you think of how far ahead they are moving or how cute a smart and quirky child is but don’t you get a little bothered that a child who knows her way around a computer will most definitely find her way around the ‘evil’ internet or 1 who prefers ‘E’ to cartoon network. But maybe I’m focusing too much on butty kids. But butty or kpako, where do we draw the line. Children of nowadays, men! They dey tear eye well well. Its feels a bit scary to watch children grow up so fast, especially the underprivileged. But who am I to talk about the realities of the underprivileged, some of them are forced to grow up so fast because of poverty, abuse, rape, disease, neglect, slavery and so on and so forth. Some of these children live without hope and here I am talking about solitaire and dstv.
Its Children’s day week, take time out to in your own little way reach out and give hope to a child, there are many ways, and there are many organizations. Don’t do it for validation or satisfaction but because you care honestly. I dedicate my Wednesday, 27th may to doing something different that will change the life of one Nigerian child, if you do and every other person does just imagine how many Nigerian children’s lives will be touched in 2009.
Nothing you do for children is ever wasted. They seem not to notice us, hovering, averting our eyes, and they seldom offer thanks, but what we do for them is never wasted.-Garrison Keillor

When I approach a child, he inspires in me two sentiments; tenderness for what he is, and respect for what he may become -Louis Pasteur:
.

No comments:

Post a Comment